Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Why Rubbing Your Eyes is Bad for You

Everyone knows you're not supposed to. But why?

  • Short-term:
    • Rubbing your eyes when they're itchy or irritated can cause break down of the cells within the eyelids and on the surface of the eye ball. This releases more histamines which make the itchiness worse.
    • Also, rubbing can cause breakage of small blood vessels in the eyelids which can result in dark circles forming around your eyes
  • Long-term:
    • consistent long-term rubbing of the eyes, especially in kids, can potentially lead to a condition called keratoconus
      • Keratoconus is a condition where the front surface of the eye (the cornea) becomes thinner and thus loses its shape. This results in blurry vision for the patient, which cannot always be fully corrected with glasses or contact lenses.

7 comments:

  1. what do you mean "Yeah right." you imbecile -.-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I have this disorder, it has made my life very difficult, normal glasses do not correct my vision. I have to visit an optometrist every 3-4 weeks to check my eyes and control mild hemorrhaging of the eye fluid. I began to develope this disorder as a teen and it has only gotten worse. There is no cure only tedious treatments that mildly lessen the pain and help my vision.

      Delete
    2. Can I have your email id? I need to ask you few questions.
      Im not going to spam you, Im suffering form red eye

      Delete
  3. It's possible that your eyes will be infected by rubbing it, I guess it's better to use clean tissue or handkerchief if you feel itchy or irritated.


    eye clinic columbia sc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rub my eyes all the time, and today on the first day of school they were red the whole day. After reading this i will defintetly stop.

    ReplyDelete