Sunday, December 26, 2010

How Trevor Linden Sold Out: An Eye Doctor's Perspective

Before I begin, I would like to say that as most kids growing up in Vancouver through the 1990's, I considered Trevor Linden to be an idol. A great hockey player and role model. As an adult, and more specifically as an eye care professional, my opinions have evolved.

As usual, I'll try to present my information as fact and do my best to remain impartial. But, I can't make any promises ;)

Many of you have probably seen our good friend Trevor on TV, or on the many obnoxious billboards around Vancouver, advertising for clearly contacts. Smiling with his spectacles on while promoting glasses and contact lenses for cheaper prices. "Glass, plastic, and two tiny little screws..." says Mr. Linden. Is that so?

Allow me to present the following points in a bulleted format.
  • First, I would like to challenge the notion that glasses are simply glass, plastic, and screws. For those people for whom glasses are a daily necessity, their presence cannot be so cheaply simplified and their importance so easily ignored. Glasses change people's lives. When Johnny Nash sang "I can see clearly now, the rain is gone...", what he was really saying was "I can see clearly now, I have my glasses on". True story. Glasses are a patient's windows into the world. They are a reflection of a person's personality and style. Try to fit that into $38, Trevor.
  • Second, my boy Trev had laser surgery a few years back so he's probably forgotten about the importance of specs. We'll see where he shops once he starts needing reading glasses.
  • Third, quality and service (or lack there of) cannot be overlooked. What happens when the arm falls off your glasses? Or you need to have the frames adjusted? Will you take them to the Linden residence?
Buying Contact Lenses Online:
A contact lens can be considered a medical device. A lens is essentially a prosthesis. A piece of precisely designed silicone and plastic placed on the surface of the eye for a medical purpose.

If poorly fit, over-worn, or misused contacts can cause inflammations, infections, and neovascularization of the eye which can potentially be vision threatening.

Would you consider it prudent for an amputee to go shopping for a prosthesis online without the consultation of his doctor? Or maybe a cardiac patient can look for good deals on heart valves while buying his new glasses? After all, they are both just pieces of plastic, right?

Trevor Linden, it's time to stop making a "spectacle" of yourself.

For more background information about clearly contacts and Trevor Linden, check out my more recent blog titled How Trevor Linden Sold Out: The Prequel.

7 comments:

  1. A rich athlete trying to get richer. I knew of his laser surgery and lost respect for him at that moment. What an ego this guy has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pardon my ignorance in this matter, but it would seem that not all are comfortable or can afford laser surgery. Therefore, if one has a recent and accurate eyeglass prescription and has been sized properly for their glasses, ( if glasses are being bought ) - how is one jeopardizing their safety by saving money through Mr Lindens company?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, thanks so much for the comments and question.
      First of all, I'd like to say that if you have obtained an accurate prescription from an eye care professional, then you are absolutely free to shop for glasses wherever you choose.
      However, the issue I have with this company (and Trevor Linden for choosing to represent them) is that they encouraged the BC government to change health care laws to suit their needs. And thanks to their exploits, the standards of health care in BC continues to decline.
      If you have time, please read my follow up blog which has a little more background information.

      Delete
  3. My eyes have always been bad. I want to eventually get eye surgery to have them repaired. I'm currently looking for an eye doctor in Chicago. Does anyone know a good reliable doctor to go to?
    John Bond | http://www.opticatropical.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is really helpful regarding all educational knowledge I earned. It covered a great area of subject which can assist a lot of needy people. Everything mentioned here is clear and very useful.ร้านแว่น

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article with excellent idea!Thank you for such a valuable article. I really appreciate for this great information.. Click here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some truly wonderful work on behalf of the owner of this internet site , perfectly great articles download instagram stories

    ReplyDelete