Monday, March 4, 2013

Contact Lens Addicts Anonymous

Its been a while since I've written a blog post. So long, in fact, that blogger.com emailed to tell me that my site had developed virtual cobwebs... kidding!

Well, I'm back. And its all thanks to a crazy day at the office. This past Sunday (yes, I work Sundays... and yes, I am a little bit crazy... thank you for asking), I felt like I was working in some sort of contact lens emergency clinic. It was like Clearly Contacts was having a sale on eye infections or something! I'm sure the Liberal government backed them on it and I must have missed Trevor's ads on TV...

Moving on...

A while back, I wrote a blog titled Contact Lens Addicts, which explained how some patients become so dependent on their contact lenses that they put themselves at risk of suffering many different problems, some of which could lead to permanent vision loss. Well, Sunday was like a Contact Lens Addicts Anonymous meeting at Metropolis Eye Care.

The CL-AA meeting started with a pleasant, 50-something woman whose contact lens had folded up and tucked itself so far behind her upper eyelid that I almost wished I had a third hand to help flip her eyelid, and/or hold a q-tip, and/or grab the forceps.

Now, lets just take a quick second to answer the question that is likely swirling around in some of your minds... No, the contact lens cannot go so far back that it ends up behind the eyeball. Luckily, the conjunctiva (the thin skin that covers the eye ball) actually folds over itself and covers the inside of the eyelids as well. Effectively creating a natural contact lens catching contraption (and you thought conjunctiva was hard to say).


Next up was a very friendly lady in her mid-thirties who is actually quite good at taking care of her contact lenses. She doesn't over wear them, she replaces them on schedule, and she's good at cleaning them every night (sounds too good to be true, but I believed her). However, despite all of the regular care and maintenance, she managed to fall asleep in her lenses.

Now, we all know that one night stands are a bad idea (right?). Well, sleeping with your contacts is a lot like a one night stand...  There's usually booze involved, it seems like a good idea at the time, you wake up in the morning with something feeling itchy and/or irritated (we're talking about eyes folks!), and then you're doing the walk of shame... into my exam room!

Even for someone who takes care of her contacts, one night with her lenses was enough to cause a small corneal ulcer, secondary to a bacterial infection. Yes, an ulcer. Yes, its as unpleasant as it sounds.


Last, and certainly not least, is the poor little girl who forced me out of blog-writing retirement to tell you her unfortunate story. A 16 year old kid who has been wearing Ortho-K lenses. I won't go into detail, but basically these are lenses you only wear at night while sleeping. Hopefully the "only wear at night while sleeping" part raised a red flag or two for most of you. To make matters worse, she was fit for and bought the lenses overseas, so I have no idea what she's been wearing. Not all that different than buying contacts online without being fit for them by a professional, might I add. But I digress...

The poor kid was in so much pain, she could not open her eye if her life depended on it. When I finally got a look, this is what I saw...
A very red and upset eye with a large, central corneal ulcer. Long story-short, she is and will be in need of a lot of eye drops (as much as every 30-60 minutes all day AND night) and maybe even some oral medications. The worst part of it is that when the infection is finally controlled, this ulcer will likely leave a large scar right in the center of her vision thus causing a permanent decrease in vision in that eye.

These were just three of the multiple cases I dealt with during the CL-AA meeting on Sunday.

Its extremely important to understand the consequences of taking our vision for granted. Online sales and deregulation have made it easy to overlook the fact that contact lenses are actually medical devices. They are pieces of plastic that we put on our eye ball to help improve our vision. We should not lose sight of that (pun intended).

I am genuinely concerned and upset about this young girl and so many other patients who suffer from serious issues due to improper contact lens wear and poor ocular hygiene. So, if you or your kids wear contacts, be sure to have the lenses fit by a professional and never hesitate to come in and have your eyes checked if you think something is wrong. As with most things, if we catch it early, its much easier to treat.

Please feel free to comment here and message me via Facebook or email if you have any questions or comments.


Note: The pictures are not of my patients, but are accurate representations of their respective issues.

19 comments:

  1. what is your take on Lasik eye surgery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question. As is the case with most treatments and surgeries, laser corrective surgery is something you have to consider on a individual basis. Some patients will be great candidates and others not so much. There are a lot of factors to consider including your prescription, corneal thickness, pupil size, age, and even your personality (often overlooked).

      In general terms, I think its great. The success rate is very high and most people are happy with the results. But its very important that you consider all the variables before you get it done. And remember, its still very important to have regular exams to eye health after correction :)

      Hope that helps.

      Delete
  2. Wow this is an eye opener! I don't think people realise the importance of sight and taking care of your eyes. I have been wearing contacts for two years and i get a check up every year just to be safe. I will be sure to physically clean my lenses everyday and bot just change their solution. thank you for this post and all the rest, they're so great and informative !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment!
      I'm glad to hear that this post helped you. And even more happy to hear that you take such good care of your eyes!

      Delete
  3. ortho-k isn't any more dangerous or more likely to cause an ulcer than any other modality. no "red flag" here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment!
      In this case I was trying to make the point to the general reader that wearing lenses while sleeping can be harmful. I think we can agree that any lens will increase the risk for complications if worn while sleeping. And hopefully the average reader will have an increased awareness of the risks.
      Thanks again.

      Delete
  4. Just stumbled onto this blog thru the posting about diabetes (I have been adhering to a Paleo/Primal low-carb diet for nearly 2 years now with great success at maintaining a lean, healthy physique).

    Wondering what are your thoughts Dr. Sian about R-K ? I had this done in the mid-1980's by a surgeon who was very experienced in it at that time. Both eyes were done twice to correct severe nearsightedness. Results were great initially and for the first few years. Now that I am nearing 60, my vision has deteriorated slightly and I have been wearing glasses to correct residual astigmatism for the last 20+ years. However, I can still function without glasses when I need to (e.g. snow skiing). Should I expect any problems going forward as I get older ? So far all my eye exams have shown no issues to this point...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary, thanks for your comments and questions!
      I'm glad to hear that you take good care of your health and watching your diet... Its unfortunate how so many people overlook the importance of eating well (and I mean that by just eating healthy, not necessarily following any specific diet).

      All your comments on RK are accurate. And, the changes that you have experienced since your surgery seem to be common. Since I haven't seen your eyes personally, its difficult for me to say what exactly you could expect. However, generally speaking, normal aging changes such as cataracts can be expected over time but, I wouldn't expect any drastic changes related to the RK.

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  5. Thanks to Pura D’or not only for their making best effective and outstanding beauty products with pure Argan oil and it’s too natural elements.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like reading this blog. The pics are great to see. Thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Contact lenses are a big help to clear our vision than using eyeglasses, but we should know the limits of this product. And always use the authentic lenses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great and a very useful blog for me. I like reading this blog. Thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good very useful site. Love to read. I am doing work for contact lens Australia. I need some tips that is helping me for handle this project. i did find here good information. Thanks that posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read your post and I want to say that it is very informative and good and interesting. I like it and I appreciate you for your fabulous effort. Try me for CHEAP HOSTING SERVICES- $1 Unlimited Hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What kind of cleaning business will you create? Is your business a general house keeping one or will it have some expertise in such cleaning as green cleaning, end-of-tenure cleaning, open home cleaning, after-gathering cleaning, professional cleaning service

    ReplyDelete
  13. That’s what I was looking for. I am talking about all topics bundled in this blog. They all are really very useful for me as well as for my team. We are definitely going to use its highlighted information.
    คอนแทคเลนส์สีเทา

    ReplyDelete
  14. Any tips regarding contact lens solution? What ingredients should it contain?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete