Thursday, August 11, 2011

Eye Bling

I knew this day would come. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm a little surprised it took this long.

Dr. Chandrashekhar Chawan, based in Mumbai, has designed gold-plated, diamond encrusted contact lenses.


Dr. Chawan has taken a scleral contact lens (a large lens that extends out to the whites of the eyes), which is normally used for treating patients with complicated corneal diseases, and given it enough bling to make even the Cash Money Millionaires happy! (for those people who are unfamiliar, that is the group that made the popular rap song titled "Bling, bling" back in 1999)
Lil Wayne from Cash Money
If you are tolerant enough to get passed the discomfort of a 20-25mm diameter hard scleral lens, then all you have to pay is $15,000 for one pair. No, that is not a typo. That's 15 comma 3 zeros. But, the way the wedding industry is booming these days, I guess it won't be long until we see some lovely bride walking down the isle looking like someone out of the Twilight movies.
Btw, I'm on Team Jacob
The company is called La SER Eye Jewellery. Check out their site for more info, lasereyejewellery.com.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness.. she looks creepy. Does it hurt your eyes? It doesn't seem to be a good thing... to be putting real gold and diamonds into one's eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Leena. As I mentioned, a scleral contact lens is quite uncomfortable on its own. But the scleral lens has its benefits in the fabrication process. The gold and diamonds are glued to the back surface of the lens and since it is such a large lens, this can be done without anything touching the cornea. I'm not sure how well everything is held in place, though. I would definitely worry about fragments falling apart and causing abrasions. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete